Monday, February 26, 2018

“What Love Really Looks Like!”.....Part 3.......“Love Doesn't Brag and Is Not Arrogant!”


“What Love Really Looks Like!” #3

1 Corinthians 13

Love Doesn't Brag and Is Not Arrogant!” - vs 4

Love is Humble, lowly, meek, abased, modest, lowly, unpretentious, and self effacing! The cultural definition of love is vague at best, watered down, these days it's just a word used loosely, typically to get an advantage or a desired outcome! As we're going through the thirteenth chapter of first Corinthians I want us to see what love actually looks like. In verse four the Word of God says that love doesn't brag and is not jealous! We're going to look at examples in scripture that represent this love in the specific(personal) context, the social context, and the spiritual context. First though, lets do a word study on the two defining terms used in this text to describe what love is NOT! Love doesn't brag and is NOT arrogant!

- The greek work here for brag is perpereuomai (per-per-yoo'-om-ahee) -

* It's defined: 1. to boast one's self-controlled
2. a self display, employing rhetorical embellishments in extolling one's self excessively

Love doesn't advertise! Love looks at others not itself! The reality is that true love is not merely an emotion nor an action! It's an action carried out with pure motive, desiring the betterment of the other party even if it costs the one loving everything!This is the only time this specific word is used in scripture -

- The greek word for arrogant is phusioo (foo-see-o'-o) -

* It's Defined in this context: 2. to inflate, blow up, to cause to swell up a. to puff up, make proud b. to be puffed up, to bear one's self loftily, be proud or haughty.

This word is used seven times in the New Testament with six of the seven coming from this epistle to the church at Corinth. 

1. It's used earlier in this epistle in chapter 4 as Paul is trying to teach his fellow ministers to remain humble in their calling for God calls and equips and the man has nothing to do with it!

1 Corinthians 4:1-7King James Version (KJV)

1 Let a man so account of us, as of the ministers of Christ, and stewards of the mysteries of God. 2Moreover it is required in stewards, that a man be found faithful. 3 But with me it is a very small thing that I should be judged of you, or of man's judgment: yea, I judge not mine own self. 4 For I know nothing by myself; yet am I not hereby justified: but he that judgeth me is the Lord. 5Therefore judge nothing before the time, until the Lord come, who both will bring to light the hidden things of darkness, and will make manifest the counsels of the hearts: and then shall every man have praise of God. 6 And these things, brethren, I have in a figure transferred to myself and to Apollos for your sakes; that ye might learn in us not to think of men above that which is written, that no one of you be puffed up for one against another. 7 For who maketh thee to differ from another? and what hast thou that thou didst not receive? now if thou didst receive it, why dost thou glory, as if thou hadst not received it?

2 & 3. It's used again, twice consecutively, in the latter part of chapter 4 concerning the attitudes of some in the church.

1 Corinthians 4:18-19King James Version (KJV)

18 Now some are puffed up, as though I would not come to you. 19 But I will come to you shortly, if the Lord will, and will know, not the speech of them which are puffed up, but the power.

4. Next it's used in chapter 5 describing the attitude some have in reaction to the revelation that many in the Corinthian church commit fornication.

1 Corinthians 5:1-5King James Version (KJV)

1 It is reported commonly that there is fornication among you, and such fornication as is not so much as named among the Gentiles, that one should have his father's wife. 2 And ye are puffed up, and have not rather mourned, that he that hath done this deed might be taken away from among you. 3 For I verily, as absent in body, but present in spirit, have judged already, as though I were present, concerning him that hath so done this deed, 4 In the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, when ye are gathered together, and my spirit, with the power of our Lord Jesus Christ, 5 To deliver such an one unto Satan for the destruction of the flesh, that the spirit may be saved in the day of the Lord Jesus.

5. Next in Paul's discourse in chapter 8 concerning eating food offered to idols he speaks of knowledge and love and the differing fruit they produce!

1 Corinthians 8:1-3King James Version (KJV)

1 Now as touching things offered unto idols, we know that we all have knowledge. Knowledge puffeth up, but charity edifieth. 2 And if any man think that he knoweth any thing, he knoweth nothing yet as he ought to know. 3 But if any man love God, the same is known of him.

6. Our Text - 1st Corinthians verse 4

7. Lastly it's used in Colossians 2 as Paul speaks of someone, who being puffed up, is trying to beguile the believer.

Colossians 2:18King James Version (KJV)

18 Let no man beguile you of your reward in a voluntary humility and worshipping of angels, intruding into those things which he hath not seen, vainly puffed up by his fleshly mind,

True love isn't self confident! Real love isn't puffed up or inflated, it's deflated, given out, exerted! 

So What does this love look like?


1.) Specifically

* Person to Person Relationships, spouses, friends, siblings, etc. *

- John the Baptist towards Christ! -


John 3:30King James Version (KJV)

30 He must increase, but I must decrease.

John 1:26-27King James Version (KJV)

26 John answered them, saying, I baptize with water: but there standeth one among you, whom ye know not;
27 He it is, who coming after me is preferred before me, whose shoe's latchet I am not worthy to unloose.

John 1:36-37King James Version (KJV)

36 And looking upon Jesus as he walked, he saith, Behold the Lamb of God!
37 And the two disciples heard him speak, and they followed Jesus.

John was the moon of the relationship, always reflecting the SON! He knew it wasn't about him! He wasn't the star of the show! Real love always knows it's place, working in the background! Never the spectacle, always pointing to the Christ! Is the love you give and produce about your reputation, your ego, your self esteem, your conscience? Or is it about the one whom you are loving? 

2.) Socially

* Individual to Society, to Individuals with which we don't have a “personal” bond. *

A great testimony to this love is captured in the life of Moses, the humble servant leader of Israel! Throughout the pentateuch we see Moses clothed in humility, the writer of Hebrews even speaks of his humility in direct correlation to his faith!

Hebrews 11:23-27King James Version (KJV)

23 By faith Moses, when he was born, was hid three months of his parents, because they saw he was a proper child; and they were not afraid of the king's commandment.
24 By faith Moses, when he was come to years, refused to be called the son of Pharaoh's daughter;
25 Choosing rather to suffer affliction with the people of God, than to enjoy the pleasures of sin for a season;
26 Esteeming the reproach of Christ greater riches than the treasures in Egypt: for he had respect unto the recompence of the reward.
27 By faith he forsook Egypt, not fearing the wrath of the king: for he endured, as seeing him who is invisible.

The old saying goes, “Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power.” In Numbers 27 Moses is presented with a case of determining inheritance, he depended not on his own understanding but sought the Lord. Even after 40 years of leading the children of Israel he looked unto God. Moses did not jealously guard his authority. He rejoiced when Jehovah allowed other Israelites to act as prophets alongside him. (Numbers 11:24-29) When his father-in-law suggested that he delegate some of his workload, Moses humbly applied the suggestion. (Exodus 18:13-24) And toward the end of his life, although still physically strong, Moses asked Jehovah to appoint a successor for him. When Jehovah selected Joshua, Moses wholeheartedly supported the younger man, urging the people to follow Joshua’s lead into the Promised Land. (Numbers 27:15-18;Deuteronomy 31:3-6;34:7) To be sure, Moses counted it a privilege to lead the Israelites in worship. But he did not put his authority ahead of the welfare of others. Humble Leaders are Servant Leaders! -

3.) Spiritually

* God to Man and Man to God! *

- Spiritually is the most important as it's correct position will produce the first two! -

- Man to God -

There are many who could be looked at here but let's focus on two. First Isaiah and his relationship with God, especially in His presence!

Isaiah 6:1-5King James Version (KJV)

1 In the year that king Uzziah died I saw also the Lord sitting upon a throne, high and lifted up, and his train filled the temple.
2 Above it stood the seraphims: each one had six wings; with twain he covered his face, and with twain he covered his feet, and with twain he did fly.
3 And one cried unto another, and said, Holy, holy, holy, is the Lord of hosts: the whole earth is full of his glory.
4 And the posts of the door moved at the voice of him that cried, and the house was filled with smoke.
5 Then said I, Woe is me! for I am undone; because I am a man of unclean lips, and I dwell in the midst of a people of unclean lips: for mine eyes have seen the King, the Lord of hosts.

Secondly, David! His Psalms Speak VOLUMES!

Psalm 8King James Version (KJV)

1 O Lord, our Lord, how excellent is thy name in all the earth! who hast set thy glory above the heavens. 2 Out of the mouth of babes and sucklings hast thou ordained strength because of thine enemies, that thou mightest still the enemy and the avenger. 3 When I consider thy heavens, the work of thy fingers, the moon and the stars, which thou hast ordained; 4 What is man, that thou art mindful of him? and the son of man, that thou visitest him? 5 For thou hast made him a little lower than the angels, and hast crowned him with glory and honour. 6 Thou madest him to have dominion over the works of thy hands; thou hast put all things under his feet: 7 All sheep and oxen, yea, and the beasts of the field; 8 The fowl of the air, and the fish of the sea, and whatsoever passeth through the paths of the seas. 9 O Lord our Lord, how excellent is thy name in all the earth!


Psalm 51:1-12King James Version (KJV)

1 Have mercy upon me, O God, according to thy lovingkindness: according unto the multitude of thy tender mercies blot out my transgressions. 2 Wash me throughly from mine iniquity, and cleanse me from my sin. 3 For I acknowledge my transgressions: and my sin is ever before me. 4 Against thee, thee only, have I sinned, and done this evil in thy sight: that thou mightest be justified when thou speakest, and be clear when thou judgest. 5 Behold, I was shapen in iniquity; and in sin did my mother conceive me. 6 Behold, thou desirest truth in the inward parts: and in the hidden part thou shalt make me to know wisdom. 7 Purge me with hyssop, and I shall be clean: wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow. 8 Make me to hear joy and gladness; that the bones which thou hast broken may rejoice. 9 Hide thy face from my sins, and blot out all mine iniquities. 10 Create in me a clean heart, O God; and renew a right spirit within me. 11 Cast me not away from thy presence; and take not thy holy spirit from me. 12 Restore unto me the joy of thy salvation; and uphold me with thy free spirit. 

- God to Man -

The greatest picture of course is the incarnate Christ! God manifest in the flesh! The God of all the universe, the same God that created life, the earth, and the fullness thereof, hung the stars, sparked the sun, held the oceans in his hand, that God in all of his glory left the splendors of Heaven to don flesh because HE LOVED YOU! He gave himself completely! He came not to be served but to serve! 

2 Corinthians 8:9King James Version (KJV)

9 For ye know the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, that, though he was rich, yet for your sakes he became poor, that ye through his poverty might be rich.

John 13:5-16King James Version (KJV)

5 After that he poureth water into a bason, and began to wash the disciples' feet, and to wipe them with the towel wherewith he was girded. 6 Then cometh he to Simon Peter: and Peter saith unto him, Lord, dost thou wash my feet? 7 Jesus answered and said unto him, What I do thou knowest not now; but thou shalt know hereafter. 8 Peter saith unto him, Thou shalt never wash my feet. Jesus answered him, If I wash thee not, thou hast no part with me. 9 Simon Peter saith unto him, Lord, not my feet only, but also my hands and my head. 10 Jesus saith to him, He that is washed needeth not save to wash his feet, but is clean every whit: and ye are clean, but not all. 11 For he knew who should betray him; therefore said he, Ye are not all clean. 12 So after he had washed their feet, and had taken his garments, and was set down again, he said unto them, Know ye what I have done to you? 13 Ye call me Master and Lord: and ye say well; for so I am. 14 If I then, your Lord and Master, have washed your feet; ye also ought to wash one another's feet. 15 For I have given you an example, that ye should do as I have done to you. 16 Verily, verily, I say unto you, The servant is not greater than his lord; neither he that is sent greater than he that sent him.

Then he went even further! Lowering himself to the lowest possible pit! He became sin who knew no sin, Bearing our iniquity, our reproach, our pain, our curse on the cross of Calvary!

2 Corinthians 5:21King James Version (KJV)

21 For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him.

Galatians 3:13King James Version (KJV)

13 Christ hath redeemed us from the curse of the law, being made a curse for us: for it is written, Cursed is every one that hangeth on a tree:

Romans 5:8King James Version (KJV)

8 But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.

** WHAT A LOVE **


We must take these pictures of a patient love & put them into action and produce them in our own personal lives. Specifically, Socially, & Spiritually! What is the focus of our love? Do we perform our love to exalt the one whom we are loving or to exalt ourselves and to feed our spiritual ego? Love doesn't broadcast! Love isn't showy!

Matthew 6:3King James Version (KJV)

3 But when thou doest alms, let not thy left hand know what thy right hand doeth:

The Excellence of Love


1 If I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but do not have love, I have become a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge; and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned, but do not have love, it profits me nothing. Love is patientlove is kind and is not jealouslove does not brag and is not arrogantdoes not act unbecomingly; it does not seek its own, is not provoked, does not take into account a wrong suffereddoes not rejoice in unrighteousness, but rejoices with the truth; bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. Love never fails; but if there are gifts of prophecy, they will be done away; if there are tongues, they will cease; if there is knowledge, it will be done away. For we know in part and we prophesy in part; 10 but when the perfect comes, the partial will be done away. 11 When I was a child, I used to speak like a child, think like a child, reason like a child; when I became a man, I did away with childish things. 12 For now we see in a mirror dimly, but then face to face; now I know in part, but then I will know fully just as I also have been fully known. 13 But now faith, hope, love, abide these three; but the greatest of these is love.

No comments:

Post a Comment